Thursday, February 26, 2009

2/26 steady state

Today may have marked one of the worst runs I've had in awhile. I've been having a hard time "recovering" this week...but then looking back I realized that nothing about this week has been a recovery. I'm at the same point mileage wise as I was last week. The only difference this week will be a rest day tomorrow and a shorter run on Saturday. Hopefully after those days I'll be "recovered." We did a 7 mile steady state this morning. Things started out ok for the first mile or so of the steady state. Steve and Ken passed me and I thought about trying to stick with them for awhile. After about another mile I realized my legs felt like crap. I decided to slow it down a little bit because my breathing was erratic and I couldn't find a rhythm. It pretty much went down hill from there. Got lost a few times, suffered on uphills, and spent the last 4 miles or so just wanted the run to be over. The whole run, with warmup and cool down, averaged out to 7:03 pace. It's not that 7:03 is horribly slow or anything, but I've done long runs (20+ miles) at a faster pace than that and felt way better than I did to day. Doesn't make much since, but oh well. I guess it's good to have really crappy work outs sometimes. Supposedly it's supposed to make you stronger. We'll see.

pluses: dinner with friends tonight

minuses: really tired, moderately cranky

1 comment:

Sadie J said...

This, too, shall pass...
What doesn't kill you...
Hang in there!

I totally agree about not feeling rested. Seems like recovery week should feel good, but when you do the regular workouts M-TH, the legs don't feel better until Saturday or Sunday.

Thanks for sharing about your hard days.