Wednesday, January 7, 2009

1/7 recovery run

Brian and I went out for an easy out and back on Slaughter today. My goal was to get in 8 miles but we ended up a little bit short of that because we were slow getting out the door. We ran a total of 7.14 miles at around 9:20 pace. I think it was good for me to get a slow recovery run in because I need to learn to go hard on hard days and easy on easy days.

We had happy office hours last night and I didn't go with any intention of discussing too much about running...but after Roger brought out the lydiard build schedule I realized I actually do have some questions. My whole approach to running since San Antonio has been to run the mileage of whoever I am running with that day. Steve basically said that is a cop out because I'm not committing to anything. I agree to a point, but I always end up doing more miles then planned, not less. It usually just seems easier to go with the flow of what the group is doing. So today if I had run with Mike and company at Barton Springs, I would have gotten 10 miles in instead of 7. That extra three miles would have been a lot easier for me than trying to figure out where to cut the course short and running part of it by myself in the dark. I think we finally settled on the fact that putting in these extra miles is fine as long as I stay below 80mpw. Right after SA my goal was to build back to 60 miles because that was more than I had been doing the in the summer and fall. Now I'm learning that if I run with people on Monday thru Thur and then do a long run on Sat, I'll get in 60 miles without even trying. I'm just going to keep doing what I am right now and see how it goes...and listen to my body. Right now everything feels good except a slight knot in the top of my left calf muscle. I think some TP roller time should take of that!

pluses: possibilities at SCAC; brunch with CHall

minuses: house is a mess, again, already....

No comments: