Saturday, January 3, 2009

1/3 long run

Mike was right...today sucked. I met up with Ken and Angie to run 18 today. Last minute, Steve decided to join us. I felt pretty good for the first 10 miles. We were kind of going a random route that Ken was making up as we went but it was nice weather and nice company...so I was feeling pretty good. We went up Mt Bonnell and some other hills and ran up Mesa...and then I started feeling kind of tired. We weren't running fast so it seemed like the miles were going by pretty slow. Finally we got to Shoal Creek and Steve and I picked it up a bit...I don't know what the pace was, but I was out of my comfort zone. My biggest issue now is my breathing. I am still really congested so I can't breath in through my mouth when I'm running. This means I feel like I'm huffing and puffing out of my mouth the whole time and I can't settle in to a rythym. It's just really annoying because I feel like in general I am a rythym runner and it's just not something I can do right now. Anways, with about 3 miles left Steve and I both started to crash. It was a REALLY hard finish. And not because we were running fast..we were just struggling to make it. I guess it's a combo of a later start, hot weather (84), no electrolytes or fuel, congestion, and not much water....it wasn't a pretty finish to say the least. I'm glad I suffered and survived though.

pluses: relaxing afternoon and evening ahead

minuses: body is angry with me :(

No comments: