Friday, January 23, 2009

1/23 recovery run

I went for a 2 mile out and back for a little recovery run today. I wasn't sure how far to go but I figured if I got 4 in today that would mean a shorter run on Sunday. My left knee has been acting up and I was pretty sure it was because of my IT band. Yesterday I went to South Congress Athletic Club to have Mark take a look at it and see if he could figure out what the issue is. Basically he thinks it has nothing to do with my IT band because the top insertion point of my IT band is loose as can be. He said my left ankle is really stiff (I didn't know that) and he did some work on that. It's funny how I could be totally clueless about a joint being that stiff but as soon as he started to poke around on it I realized how tender it was. He also said there was a slight imbalance in my hips so he yanked on my right leg a bit to try and fix that :) So I was hoping that today's shake out run would take away some of the problems. When I started running today it was just my ankle that felt stiff, but not bad. My legs felt really heavy but I was kind of expecting that. Then my knee started hurting after about a mile :( It finally loosened up and felt better when about 3.5 miles in to the run. As soon as I stopped it stiffened up and it's already getting swollen again which sucks. I really want to do the long run tomorrow so I'm going to just suck it up and see how it goes. I'm leaving for Georgia next Tuesday so I keep thinking I should suck it up until the trip where I'll have some recovery. Now I'm sitting in bed with a bag of frozen peas on my knee and I just popped some anti-inflammatory pills, so we'll see.

pluses: cupcake date, Dominican Joe's w/ Tim, dinner tonight

minuses: funeral, sore knee

No comments: