Sunday, January 11, 2009

1/10 & 1/11 Bandera and Recovery

Bandera was much better than expected. Brian and I made the decision to run the race together. Neither one of us have ever done a trail race and Brian hasn't done much running since the 08 Austin Marathon, so I thought it may be a little rough. The weather was great which made the camp out the night before quite pleasant. We started out towards the back of the pack so we had a hard time settling in to any kind of pace. We ended up walking/jogging the climbs and then on the downhills Brian would pull away a bit. He had no fear going fast down the trails, and I was scared of falling. Then when we got on the flats I'd take off :)

I did like the race and would interested in actually racing it some time. I need some more trail training to build confidence on the downhills. All in all, it was a fun experience. I was glad to get to spend the time with Brian and it was a nice contrast to the usual long run on the road.

Today I went out for an easy 6 recovery. I had planned to do 8 but was short on time. Had a late night last night so I slept in later than I should have today. For the week, I'm at 71 miles. That's a new record for me. My body feels fine. My legs are kind of tight from the trails yesterday but nothing worse than expected. I'm feeling really positive about how training is going so far.

pluses: great birthday weekend

minuses: nutrition