Monday, April 27, 2009

lydiard build

I finished up last week with a great trail run with Mike on Friday. After that run, I had met my weekly quota for running (three days a week). Everything has been feeling good...so while I'm hesitant to say so, I think I'm recovered from the hamstring injury. This week I am beginning my lydiard build back to 60 miles per a week. I'd like to move up from there at some point...but that's a great goal to start. I'm starting at week one which calls for 25-27 miles. It seems really low, but I think it's pretty accurate for where I am at fitness wise. I am feeling really out of shape on the short runs...so I think starting with low mileage and easy paces will be the most beneficial thing for me now. Today I ran the prescribed 30 minutes with no pain. I don't know what my mileage was, but I'd guess I was around 8:30 pace. I went to see Lisa today too so I could get "clearance" to begin my build phase. This was really just more of a mental check for me. I needed her to tell me my hamstring felt better than before and I was ready to roll. That's pretty much what she said...but she said it is still a "problem" area for me so I need to be religious about rolling it out and streching, otherwise I'll be right back at the same place. I'm ordering a foam roller today to help me out with that. I'm pretty sore after the massage, but hopefully I'll be ready for my 6 miler tomorrow. I'm off to Houston for the rest of the week which means lots of flat, hot, humid running!

pluses: time with family in houston

minuses: rain

No comments: