Wednesday, December 16, 2009

first two days back!

I got cleared to run on Monday...so I hit the road for the first time in about 4 months. Yesterday I just did a two mile loop in my neighborhood. The hardest thing to adjust to was the cold air. My lungs felt like they were frozen! I haven't been outside much in the cold in awhile, and I'm sure I was breathing a lot harder than usual...so that added up to some discomfort in the breathing category. Other than that, things felt ok. I was slow, heavy, and felt kind of awkward...but that is what I expected :)

Today I met up with Katie for a run at town lake. We did the 4 mile loop. We just walked a bit by the water stops, but it was probably 95% running and 5 % walking. I was happy with that. I still feel ridiculously out of shape, but that's ok. The way I feel now makes me have a lot of respect for people who have never been runners and are starting out for the first time. I have a feeling that's similar to how I am feeling now. Pretty much for as far back as I can remember, I've been playing some sort of sport. I've always been in "shape" even if it's not running shape. So when I start back up with running, I've usually been playing a lot of basketball, softball, swimming, biking, or some other sport. Since I've done NOTHING but walk since the summer, my fitness is worse off than it's even been before. I guess the thing to keep in mind is that it's only been 26 days since I had a baby, so I just need to be patient!

pluses: great Baucher family Christmas last night

minuses: sister in law and brother in law are moving

No comments: